The firm was founded by P.V. Loughray, solicitor in 1899. He was succeeded by Desmond A. Houlihan who acquired the practice in 1937. It expanded rapidly over the years, becoming one of the foremost legal firms in the region. James W. Houlihan entered the firm in 1968 and was appointed State Solicitor for County Offaly in 1981 taking over the position held by his father. James W. Houlihan held the role until his retirement in 2011.
Desmond J Houlihan followed in the footsteps of his father and grand-father before him and joined the firm in 2005, becoming a partner in 2008. The third generation bond was since strengthened further when Sorcha Houlihan, sister of Desmond J Houlihan, became a partner in 2012 upon entering the practice.
With effect from the 6 September 2021, the firm has been authorised by the Legal Services Regulatory Authority to operate as a limited liability partnership.